THE THOMAS AND DOROTHY LEAVEY CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF LOS ANGELES RESEARCH COLLECTION
THE CITIZEN AND CHEVIOT CHATTER, 1927-1960 (CSLA-5)
ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATIONCOLLECTION TITLE AND NUMBER: The Citizen and Cheviot Chatter, 1927-1960. CSLA-5ACCESSION NUMBER: 1997.19COLLECTION SIZE: 19 oversize archival document boxesPROCESSING HISTORY: Processed by Janet Evander. Collection guide written by Clay Stalls, Department of Archives and Special Collections.
This collection (see box list) contains the run, from 1927 through 1960, of a local Culver City, California, weekly newspaper. This weekly was originally called the Western Citizen as witness to its coverage of communities in western Los Angeles (Mar Vista, Culver City, Albright City, and Barnes City), but saw a title change to The Citizen for the 6 December 1929 issue. In 1942The Citizen became The Citizen and Cheviot Chatter, the latter a weekly newspaper for Cheviot Hills, which had appeared as inserts in The Citizen before their merger. Because of the newspaper's coverage of Culver City, The Citizen and Cheviot Chatter contains much material on MGM, the famous movie studio located the city.
The newspapers are bound, usually by year, in leather-bound hard covers, some with newspaper name and dates of issue embossed on the spine. The arrangement of the collection is chronological (1927-1960) and is described in the box list below. These holdings of The Citizen and Cheviot Chatter are probably incomplete. Unfortunately, the issues for the dates 4 February 1927 through 29 November 1929 are extremely brittle, making them unsuitable for handling; thus, they are closed to research use.
RESEARCH ACCESS: The collection is open for research by appointment with no restrictions under the conditions of the access policy of the Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University, 1 LMU Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045. To schedule an appointment, please call the Department of Archives and Special Collections at 310-338-5710 or 310-338-5357, or email the department:Special.Collections@lmu.edu. The Research Collection is a program of the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Center for the Study of Los Angeles.
1927-1929. CLOSED TO RESEARCH USE
1958 (two copies)
back to top
© 2012 Loyola Marymount University