Department of Archives and Special Collections
Loyola Marymount University
Before completing your request please review our conditions below as well as our Fee Schedule.
Federal Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under Certain conditions specific in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or other reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order, if in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law.
1. Materials in the collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author, artist or creator or his/her heirs, assignees or executors.
2. Researchers are advised that some materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to restrictions.
3. Duplication requests will be carried out at the discretion of the staff and only made by a staff member.
4. Hand-held digital cameras and camera phones may be used in the reading room for research purposes in compliance with the Use of Personal Digital Cameras Policy. Other photographic equipment may not be used in the reading room except with prior permission.
5. The Department of Archives and Special Collections will supply digital images as .jpg files at 300 dpi, unless otherwise indicated.
6. Charges for copies will be made at the rate established in the current Fee Schedule. The Department of Archives and Special Collections requires advance payment for all copies.
7. Approval for copies of Special Collections materials does not provide permission to publish any of these materials. Permission to publish or to use images in exhibitions or in film or television productions must be requested in writing from the head of Archives and Special Collections. Additional fees may incur.
8. In granting permission to publish material from its collections Loyola Marymount University does not surrender its own right to publish the material nor to grant permission to others to do so.
9. Materials may be published only once and in the manner specified in the request.
10. Patrons are urged to donate copies of published works using materials from the Department of Archives and Special Collections to the William H. Hannon Library.